Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Interview with Fiona Robyn @fiona_robyn



The Digital Ink Spot interviewed Fiona Robyn, author of, The Most Beautiful Thing. She is a novelist and psychotherapist living in Malvern in the United Kingdom. She co-founded Writing Our Way Home with her husband Kaspa, and offers ecourses in mindful writing and creativity coaching.

The Digital Ink Spot: What is your book, The Most Beautiful Thing, all about? What will draw a reader to it?
Fiona Robyn: The book follows 14 year old Joe as he stays with his artist Aunt Nel in Amsterdam. He returns at 29 to stay with her again, when both of their lives are very different... People tell me that once they've started reading it they can't put it down and I've been responsible for a few very late nights... The characters are very ordinary and fallible human beings, just like all of us, but through their journey I hope readers will learn something about themselves. It will also make you laugh (and probably cry).

The Digital Ink Spot: Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Fiona Robyn: Yes, but I can't tell you what it is or I'd be spoiling the story!

The Digital Ink Spot: If you had a book club, what would it be reading — and why?
Fiona Robyn: One of my favorite books is John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany . I haven't read it in years and so I'd love to revisit it and see how I feel about it now. Our feelings about books can change over time, just like our feelings about people, but I have a feeling I'd still love this one.

The Digital Ink Spot: What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing your stories to life?
Fiona Robyn: I was nervous about writing as a fourteen year old boy (and a twenty-nine year old man) but so far the men who've read the book have said that I've done a good job! Joe is also very interested in details and facts, which isn't like me at all. I had to concentrate... And there's the usual difficulty of getting the first draft finished, which doesn't get any easier (this is my fourth novel). I hate writing first drafts!

The Digital Ink Spot: What can reader's expect from you in the future?
Fiona Robyn: I'm writing about April (from my work in progress, yet to be titled) at the moment, and her story starts with a very bad car crash. I've been reading books about long distance runners, which might give you a clue...

Other works by Fiona Robyn



And feel free to share this post via your social network of choice. Let's help these authors get the word out to other readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment